Sewcation Part 1

Hi everyone πŸ™‚ well I am currently on day 9 of my holidays and I am so super relaxed even though it’s been a busy little break. On Monday I finished a sewing job for a workmate and did some errands. Tuesday sadly I had a funeral for a dear lady from my craft group 😦 on Wednesday I travelled down to Sydney and went pattern and fabric shopping to cheer myself up. On Thursday I finally began some selfish sewing (my favourite).

Now my aim ultimately is to have at least 50-60% of my wardrobe handmade by the end of next year. So I am try to knock as much as I can while I am off work because I don’t get a lot of time to sew usually. So expect a few posts in the next week :).

Ok now back to what I was talking about…..

On Thursday I began working on McCalls M6954 view C.
20140805-182057-66057419.jpg

I don’t know about you but I get super excited about finding patterns I don’t need to alter. And thus ladies and gentlemen was one of them πŸ™‚ woohoo. Being a large pear shape it’s rare that I don’t have to alter dramatically for my hips and butt to fit. To give you an idea my measurements are bust 53″, waist 49″, hips 62″.

It did turn out slightly snug in the bust but I am currently on a health kick and have lost just over 12kg already so I figure it’s going to be loose soon anyway lol.

Ok so the pattern itself was pretty good. It used a fair bit of fabric as it is cut on the bias. I was lucky enough to have a roll of fabric sitting there that I picked up for like $10 ages ago that had about 7 metres left on it (I used the left over on a top that I’ll show in my next post). The fabric is a slightly heavier poly cotton. It only had 4 paper pattern pieces which once cut you had two front, two back and your neck and armhole facings. The only problem I had with it was the facings. I’m not sure if that step in the pattern was explained badly or if I was just having a brain fart, but I attached the facing kind of like you would bias tape. Anyway after consulting the fabulous sew sisters from a tailoring group I am on on Facebook I had an epiphany and I got out the ole trusty seam ripper and fixed it.

And here is the end result……(sorry for the crappy photo’s)
20140805-223750-81470291.jpg20140805-223750-81470753.jpg

It is super comfy and I will definitely make it again though I think next time it will do it in jersey πŸ™‚

Well I hope you all enjoyed that and I’ll see you again with the next instalment……bye for now xox

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s