Super Hero Day at work

Hi guys ๐Ÿ™‚ sorry it’s been a while. I haven’t had a lot of time to write on here since being back at work. You know how it is? You eat, sleep, work, clean then repeat. Story of my life. I have managed to get a little bit of sewing in though (when I should have been cleaning lol). In particular yesterday. And it was actually very lucky I had an RDO otherwise I may have been left wearing a pair of knickers on the outside of my leggings lol. Wouldn’t that have been a sight.

Anyhow, I was lucky enough to finish early the day before so after work I drove on up to Bathurst to my nearest Spotlight store with this pic in hand for inspiration.

IMG_1084.PNG

In fine form as per usual it turns out that this pattern isn’t in Aussie stores till next season.

Plan B

So I decided how hard could it be to come up with something myself similar. Not very it turns out.

For the bodice I used the Sis boom Angie pattern which I’ve used on previous projects. I used this lovely blue satin and bound the neck and arm holes with blue bias tape folded under then stitched. I then cut a 3 inch thick piece of gold stretch denim (I never realised his hard it would be to find suitable gold fabric) by the width of the bodice x 2. Sewed the ends together and with the seam at the centre back attached it to my bodice.

IMG_2192.JPG

I then cut a standard circle skirt from this lovely red rayon and attached that to the band, stretching the band slightly where needed to fit. I then overlocked the bottom hem with my 4 thread overlocker and folded it over twice and sewed for a clean finish.

For the cape I used the width of the rayon x my shoulder to ankle length. I simply cut a curved edge at the bottom and hemmed the same as I did the dress. I didn’t bother doing the sides because they were both salvages anyway and I figured they with be safe from fraying. Plus I didn’t want it to be too bulky.

At the top of the cape it was too wide so I put about 5 one inch pleats overlapping one another on each side and ran a basting stitch thought the pleats. I then overlocked the raw edge the whole way along.

To attached the cape I used my KAM snap press. I used two on each shoulder and two on each side of the cape but I wanted the fold over effect so on the cape I put the snaps with the cap on the wrong side if that makes sense.

For the emblem I cut the shape in heavy weight fusible interfacing and ironed it onto a piece of scrap yellow cotton. I folded over the edges and stitched close to the edge. I then cut pieces of thin red bias tape and pinned it around the edge, wrapping the ends under so there was no raw edges and stitched. Then I used thick bias tape to form the S and stitched around its edges. Then I found my centre of my bodice and followed the stitching on the red edging and attached it to the bodice.

Overall I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

IMG_2194.JPG

IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

As you can see I also got a bit creative with my scraps and made forearm cuffs and stockings to match ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_2299.JPG

The dress isn’t actually crooked I was just standing funny…., as usual lol.

IMG_2300.JPG

IMG_2304.JPG

Well I hope you all enjoyed that. If you did please click follow for email updates when I write new posts. Feel free to comment with any questions. I should have another post up soon.

Bye for now lovelies xox